Yellow Split Pea Dahl
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 3 tablespoons of ghee or butter or coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced with or without seeds
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder or 5cm of fresh turmeric, grated
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- Small handful of curry leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 1/2 cups dried yellow split peas, soaked overnight or for 6-8 hours in water with a little lemon juice.
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock/broth
- 1x 400g tin of tomatoes, diced
- 1x 400g tin of coconut cream/milk
- In a large pot on medium heat, melt the butter, oil or ghee.
- Drain and rinse the split peas and put to one side.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until soft and transparent.
- Add garlic, ginger, chilli and stir well.
- Add all the spices and cook for 2-3 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add the tin of coconut cream, broth and split peas. Stir well.
- Cook for 40-50 minutes on low-med heat until the split peas are soft. You may need to add more broth if it starts to look dry.
- Serve with steamed rice and lots of fresh coriander.